Taking care of all who need it
Enloe Medical Center is committed to providing quality care to patients in our community regardless of your ability to pay. That is why we offer a Community Service Program and Discount Policy to assist the many people in our community who don’t have health insurance or have limited insurance coverage. Enloe Medical Center provides financial assistance to patients and their families based on family income and medical needs.
We have financial counselors available to assist you by phoning our billing help line at 530-332-6300. Our financial counselors may be able to assist you in obtaining financial assistance or health insurance, and we will work with you to arrange a manageable payment plan.
The hospital’s application process for the Community Service Program and Discount Policy now also includes Emergency and Cardiology physician charges billed by Enloe Medical Center. Uninsured patients will receive discounts on these physician services when they meet the income criteria.
- Discount Policy for Patients with High Medical Costs
- Community Service Program for the Uninsured (Application Form)
- Prompt Pay Discounts
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Other important information
- Contact us
Enloe offers a discount policy to patients who do not receive a discount through their insurance plan if the family income is at or below 350% of Federal Poverty Level. If you meet the criteria established in our policy, you can apply for a discount that will base your payment on the Medicare fee schedule. The discounts may also be available for medically necessary services not covered by your insurance and/or high patient deductibles. Learn about Prompt Pay Discounts.
If you do not have insurance and the family income is at or below 450% of Federal Poverty Level, you may qualify for Community Service. View the 2013 Poverty Level Guidelines (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services web page).
Who is eligible for the Community Service program?
Eligible patients are those without health insurance for whom paying their hospital bill would pose undue financial hardship. If you are applying for community service you must also agree to apply for other financial assistance that might be available to you.
Generally, the following guidelines apply:
- Families with income less than 100% of the federal poverty line may be eligible for free care.
- Families with incomes between 101% and 250% of the federal poverty line are eligible for free care after a $100 per visit co-pay.
- Families with incomes between 251% and 350% of the federal poverty line are eligible for a reduction based on the Medicare fee schedule.
- Families with incomes between 351% and 400% of the federal poverty line are eligible for a reduction based on the Medicare fee schedule for billed charges that exceed $10,000.
- Families with incomes between 401% and 450% of the federal poverty line are eligible for a reduction based on the Medicare fee schedule for billed charges that exceed $15,000.
What if I exceed the income levels but cannot pay my portion of the bill?
Enloe Medical Center realizes that some families are faced with large out-of-pocket medical expenses in the event of a catastrophic accident or illness. If you are insured and need help paying your portion of the bill, please call a customer service representative at 530-332-6300 so payment arrangements can be made that fit your family’s budget.
Will you help me find health insurance for my future needs?
Yes. Having health insurance protects patients and their families from the financial burden of large medical bills. As part of the Community Service process, we will work with you to determine if you are eligible for government-sponsored health plans.
Does it cost anything to participate in the Community Service program?
There is no charge to apply for the program. Many eligible patients will be asked to pay a co-pay of $100 per visit. Other patients may be asked to pay a reduced bill based on their income.
To apply, complete the Community Service Application Form. On the form, you will be asked to provide information about your family income and documentation of this income. Requested documentation may include tax returns, pay stubs or other forms of income history. Our account representatives will let you know what documentation will be required. Be sure to complete the application form and provide any documentation as soon as possible to prevent any delays in processing your application.
You can obtain the Community Service Application Form in any of these ways:
- Download the application: (In English) (En Espanol) and bring it completed to any registration desk at Enloe.
- Stop by any Enloe registration desk at Enloe.
- Call Enloe's Billing Help Line at (530) 332-6300.
When and how will I be notified if I am eligible?
We will send you a Community Service notification form in the mail. This form will let you know if you are eligible for full or partial financial assistance. The form may indicate that more information is needed from you to complete the eligibility process. If this is the case, please provide the requested information as soon as possible.
How long does it take to determine eligibility?
In most cases, you will receive the notification form within three weeks of submitting your application.
How long does the eligibility last?
If you are determined to be eligible for our Community Service program, you are eligible for one month. However, you may apply for multiple medical visits in multiple months on one application.
What if I disagree with the eligibility decision?
If you disagree with the determination made by our staff, you have a right to appeal in writing to:
Enloe Medical Center
1531 Esplanade, Chico, CA 95926
Attention: Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
What if I can’t pay my bill and don’t apply for the Community Service and Discount Program?
If you do not apply for Community Service you may receive a prompt pay uninsured discount.
If billed charges exceed $300 and your family income does not qualify you for Community Service, or you choose not to apply to this program, you may request an uninsured discount based on the following criteria:
- 55% discount if payment is made prior to or at the time of service
- 50% discount if payment is made within 30 days
- 45% discount if payment is made within 60 days
- 40% discount if payment exceeds 60 days
We hope that you take advantage of one of these options. An unpaid bill could affect your credit status. After making every effort to work with patients to pay their bills, unpaid bills are referred to an outside agency for collection. You can avoid damage to your credit by paying the discounted rate or by applying for the Community Service Program.
For more information, please ask a registration representative at any Enloe location or contact our Billing Help Line at 530-332-6300. We will treat your questions with courtesy, confidentiality and respect.
- You have the right to receive complete information about any assistance available to you.
- You have the right to receive this information in a timely manner.
- You have the right to be treated with respect and courtesy by all Enloe Medical Center personnel.
- You have the right to financial counseling if you are not able to pay any portion of the bill that is deemed to be your responsibility.
- You have the right for your information to remain confidential.
- You are responsible for providing Enloe Medical Center with any required documents within two weeks of the time your Community Service application is filed. (If requested documentation is not received, the application is automatically denied.)
- You are responsible for applying to other government programs if requested. Your Community Service application will be pended until we receive confirmation that your government application was approved or denied.
Payment arrangements may be approved at the discretion of Enloe Medical Center. In these circumstances, interest-free terms may be granted up to six months. Interest will be charged for payment arrangements that exceed six months. Income verification will be required.
If you would like further information, please ask a registration representative at any Enloe location or contact our Billing Help Line at 530.332.6300. We will treat your questions with courtesy, confidentiality and respect.
Enloe Medical Center
Patient Financial Services
1390 E. Lassen Ave.
Chico, Calif., 95973
Contact Patient Financial Services
1390 East Lassen Ave.
Chico, CA 95973
Open Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.