Tips for Before and after surgery
Enloe's Surgical and Procedural Assessment Area (ESPAA) is sharing this important information to help you prepare before surgery and to understand what to expect after surgery. General information, including classes, parking and financial information is also included.
- Arrange for the care of your dependents.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home. Taxis are OK if a responsible adult is with you.
- Arrange to have help getting your prescriptions filled upon discharge from the hospital.
- If you’re returning home the day of your surgery and an anesthesiologist will be involved with your care:
- Arrange to have a responsible adult stay with you overnight. This is required for safety reasons.
- Stock your kitchen with clear liquids, such as Jell-O, tea, broth; and full liquids, such as milk products, ice cream and soup. Parents, don’t forget the popsicle!
- A nurse will contact you the day before surgery with instructions about dietary guidelines
and your arrival time for surgery, unless you have already been given instructions at
your ESPPA appointment.
- If you have not received a call with information and instruction by the afternoon
before your surgery, please call us. If you are scheduled at:
- Enloe Medical Center on Esplanade, call (530) 332-5545.
- Enloe Same Day Surgery at the Enloe Outpatient Center, call (530) 332-6882.
- If you will have a local anesthetic, please direct any questions to your surgeon.
- If your child will be having surgery, you can call the numbers above to request a tour.
- If you develop a cold, sore throat, fever, rash or other symptoms of illness, notify your surgeon ASAP.
- If you have any questions, call ESPAA at (530) 332-6001.
The Day of Your Surgery
- Be sure to follow the instructions you were given about diet and arrival time.
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco.
- Do not wear mascara or other eye make-up, as it may irritate your eyes.
- Remove nail polish if you will be having surgery on your hands or feet.
- Shower with an antibacterial soap on the evening before or morning of your surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that is easy to put on after surgery.
- Minors who are having surgery must be accompanied by a parent, who must stay in the building until their child is discharged home or to a patient room at the medical center.
What to Bring or Leave at Home
- Please leave all valuables at home, including metal objects such as rings, watches, earrings and necklaces.
- Please bring your inhalers and eye drops, but leave all other medications at home.
- If you have not had contact with ESPAA, bring a list of your medications, vitamins, supplements and herbal products, with dosages and scheduled times.
- If you will be staying overnight, bring your advance directive/power of attorney for health care, eyeglass or contact lens case, robe, slippers, hearing aide, toiletries, and reading or writing materials if desired.
- If you are scheduled at Enloe Same Day Surgery, bring your prescription insurance card and co-payment.
- Bring clean, empty bottle for your infant.
What to Expect When You Arrive for Surgery
- You will meet with a patient service representative.
- You will be escorted to the preoperative area, where a nurse will prepare you for surgery.
- The anesthesiologist will speak with you and your family.
- During your surgery, your family can wait for
you in the lobby. The surgeon will speak with
them after surgery.
- You will be reunited with your family after surgery, once you have recovered from anesthesia.
- If you are an inpatient, staying at Enloe Medical Center, your family will be informed of your room number and the time that they may visit you.
If you are staying overnight at Enloe:
- Before discharge to home, a nurse will review your medication plan with you and provide you and your family with written and verbal instructions on how to care for you at home.
- Our goal is to discharge you by 11 a.m., although the amount of time it takes to be discharged can vary depending on the complexity of your physician’s discharge orders
Enloe Medical Center is prepared to provide care for you after your hospital stay. Physicians may prescribe nursing services, social work counseling, rehabilitation or home health services upon discharge. A discharge planner will help coordinate any care and resources you may require after your stay.
Tips for After Your Surgery
- If you are having outpatient surgery with anesthesia, we advise that you advance your diet slowly. Start with clear liquids, such as Jell-O, tea and broth, and then advance as tolerated to full liquids, such as milk products, ice cream and soup. Then, if tolerated, advance to regular food, unless otherwise instructed upon discharge. Parents, don’t forget the popsicles!
- Refrain from making important decisions or signing important papers for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- A nurse will call you one to two days after surgery to check in on your progress and answer any questions.
- Enloe Same Day Surgery at the Enloe Outpatient Center has designated patient parking.
- Enloe Medical Center on the Esplanade offers two parking lots, a parking structure and free valet parking. Valet service is available every day from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. To use valet parking, simply drive up to the main entrance and an attendant will assist you.
Enloe offers educational information to patients scheduled for surgery at the hospital:
- A Joint Effort, a free patient education program to help patients prepare for joint replacement surgery. Held two times a month. Call (530) 332-7446 for more information.
- Bariatric Pre-Surgical Education, a class to help prepare for gastric bypass surgery. Call (530) 891-1651 for more information.
Enloe has a financial counselor available to assist you with financial questions related to your surgery. Enloe Medical Center's charges do not include the professional fees of the surgeon, assistant surgeon, anesthesiologist, pathologist or radiologist. To contact a financial counselor, call (530) 332-6371.
Enloe Surgical and Procedural
Assessment Area (ESPAA)
Fountain Medical Plaza
251 Cohasset Road
Chico, CA 95973
Same Day Surgery at the Enloe Outpatient Center
888 Lakeside Village Commons, Bldg B
Chico, CA 95973
Enloe Medical Center’s
Chico, CA 95926
Find a Doctor