Inpatient Cancer Care Services
Enloe’s Oncology Department: a team approach to in-hospital care
The patients in Enloe Medical Center’s inpatient Oncology Department
at the Esplanade campus receive the focused attention of a team of
caregivers dedicated to providing compassionate, quality care. The
physicians and nurses specialize in caring for the special needs of people
with cancer. Social workers and allied health professionals extend this
circle of care to assure patients receive comfort and emotional support.
- Physicians caring for patients on this unit specialize in hematology and
Hematologists are specially trained in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases of the blood and bone marrow; oncologists are specially trained in the treatment and diagnosis of cancer. See the hematologists and oncologists in our online physician directory.
- Registered Nurses receive specialized training in the delivery of oncology care and are supervised by nurses who have certification in chemotherapy administration. Along with providing treatment and care, nurses make sure patients and their families fully understand the complexities of cancer treatment. A chemotherapy resource nurse provides education to patients and staff, ensuring that all are up to date on the latest research and best practices.
- A case management team is available to help with patients’ personal or financial needs such as insurance, housing, long-term care and discharge planning. These experienced professionals can also suggest referrals to cancer-related community support groups and service agencies. The case management team includes a Registered Nurse case manager and a social worker who specializes in stress management, crisis intervention and coping with end-of-life decisions.
- A pharmacist with knowledge and training in chemotherapy medications supports patients and staff.
- Dietitians help patients and families living with cancer address issues like weight loss or gain, how to deal with nausea, or changes in taste that affect nutrition.
- Physical therapists and occupational therapists can help cancer patients improve physical functioning as part of survivorship. They assist patients with range of motion, increased muscle and joint strength, and can introduce exercise programs to increase endurance and reduce fatigue.
- Volunteers who visit patients at their bedsides offer a listening ear, caring touch and access to healing arts.
- Spiritual care providers, also volunteers from the community, are available upon request.
The UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center and Enloe Medical Center have formed an affiliation of cancer programs to enhance patient care and improve access to top level medical experts. The affiliation is aimed at increasing cancer disease prevention and expanding access to high-quality, specialty treatment for residents of the region served by the Enloe. Learn more about our partnership and its benefits.
- Patient and Visitor Information
- Enloe's Regional Cancer Center offers services and support for patients and their families.
- Enloe's Home Medical Equipment provides custom mastectomy fitting and apparel.
- Enloe's community libraries provide a wealth of information: Enloe Health Learning Center, Enloe Cancer Center Library, and online catalog.
- Our Health Links Web page include a list of reputable Web sites with health information.
- Call 1-877-Enloe-MD (1-877-365-6363) for a physician referral.
- Visit www.enloe.org/doctor to find a doctor.
Enloe Medical Center
Chico, CA 95926
Find a Doctor