Check Out Chico
Chico, California - A welcoming and affordable change!
Chico offers affordable living, a sense of community, education, natural beauty, recreation and a growing economy. Nestled in the heart of the Sacramento Valley, Chico is within a few hours drive of California's large metropolitan areas, the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Lake Tahoe. Chico is located 90 miles north of Sacramento, 174 miles northeast of San Francisco and 151 miles from Napa Valley.
- Chico State University ranks fifth place in the ranking of public universities in the West by U.S. News and World Report Magazine. (2012)
- "Best Towns" Outiside Magazine (2011)
- "Best Places to Live in America" in Men's Journal (2010)
- Home to Bidwell Park, the third largest municipal park in the USA, at 3,670 acres.
- "5-Star Rating" for K-12 Educational System, Expansion Management Magazine (2007)
- "Best Green Places to Live " in Country Home Magazine (2007)
- # 4 Top Master's level Public Universities from the West by U.S. News & World Report (2007)
- # 5 Fastest Commute in Money Magazine's "Fastest Commute" category (2006)
- # 10 Best Small Art Town in America - Ranked By Author John Villani (2004)
- # 1"Best Places in America" in Forbes magazine's (2000)
- # 13 "Best Place to Live" in Money.com's Survey (1999)
- # 1 Cycling Community in America by Bicycling magazine (1997)
- Family friendly community.
- Affordable living.
- Home of Chico State University and Butte Community College.
- Home to the Chico Outlaws Professional Baseball Team.
- Home to the Sierra Nevada Brewery.
- Rated by Forbes magazine among the top 5 cities in America for business.
- Beautiful fall colors.
- Changing seasons.
- Outdoor recreation galore!
- Commute throughout the Greater Chico Area without traffic, within 15 minutes.
- Located within 3 hours of Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe and the Oregon border.
- Great snow skiing within 2 hours.
- Water sports within a 30 minute drive, including fishing, kayaking, water skiing and sailing.
Chico is a vibrant, progressive community, blending university town character with small town charm. It's a place where you'll experience a sense of belonging, where people smile and say hello to each other walking down the street. As the cultural hub of the north valley and a gateway to unparalleled outdoor recreational opportunities, Chico offers affordable living and a lifestyle that is difficult to match. Easy to live. Hard to leave.
Butte County's total land area: 1,639.5 square miles
- City of Chico: 88,228
- Chico Urban Area: 104,800
- Butte County: 221,768
Annual average increase: 0.9%
Chico's four distinct seasons make it a beautiful place
to live and work all year-round!
- Summers: Moderate
- Winters: Mild
Annual precipitation: 30 inches
Elevation: 230 ft.
Sales tax: 7.25%
Average home sale price: $285,000 (3bd, 2ba)
For more information about Chico, visit www.chicochamber.com.