Planetree Initiatives: Healing Environment
The physical environment is vital to the healing process of patients. The Healing Environment is one of our patient-centered initiatives addressing the components of Planetree.
A calm, quiet place is ideal for the healing process — and a priority at Enloe.
- To help manage noise, we eliminated routine overhead paging in February 2008.
- The alternative forms of communication that we implemented after eliminating routine overhead paging support the Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goal to improve communication between caregivers.
- We encourage quiet time by dimming the lights for a period of time each day on our inpatient units.
- One of our Quality Initiatives in 2012 is to protect patients' sleep. We will work to create a quieter environment where patients can get more health-restoring sleep in the hospital.
- The Magnolia Patient Tower was engineered with quiet in mind. Several features were designed to soften noise.
Four-footed partners in healing
- Staff and patients at the Enloe Rehabilitation Center and the Enloe Regional Cancer Center know the comfort of a dog's understanding presence. Specially trained dogs that are a part of our Animal Assisted Therapy Program and our Pets Assisting With Service (P.A.W.S.) Volunteer Program offer patients therapeutic support and emotional comfort.
- The Healing Garden at the Enloe Regional Cancer Center provides a place of serenity and reminds patients of the beauty in life. The center was presented with the national Spirit of Planetree Arts & Entertainment Award in 2008 for its healing arts programs.
- Enloe has incorporated Planetree concepts, creating a healing environment through interior design. Features include:
- Artwork in the Magnolia Tower features beautiful nature scenes of California, with a different theme on each floor; as well as photographs of healthy babies and flowers on the Mother & Baby Care Center. Original pieces by local artists is also featured.
- Furniture to accommodate overnight visitors
- Welcoming family lounges
- A Meditation room offering family members a place to reflect, contemplate and feel a sense of peace.
- The art panels on the Enloe Parking Structure are examples of Healing Environments in action. This collection of art by local artists, with the theme of healing power of nature, has been on display since April 24, 2009. Stop by and see the artwork for yourself, or view the artwork and their artists in the slide show below.